Willowcreek Voice

Willowcreek Voice

How Accurate Was Thoroughly Modern Millie Junior To the 1920’s

Kailey Clay, Writer

Recently Willow Creek Middle School put on the production Thoroughly Modern Millie Junior Millie takes place in 1920’s New York, during this time many things were changing in society. Women were taking a stand, women no longer had set roles in the home and several worked full time jobs, they were given the right to vote and women were definitely taking more risks with the raised hemline on dresses and were sexually liberated and even smoked.

Willow Creeks play was wonderful no doubt but did it portray these changes in society? In  Thoroughly Modern Millie Junior, the main lead Millie got a job working as a stenographer and showed other women having jobs as well. The play showed the girls with flapper dresses and short skirts similar to the 1920’s fashion. It also talked about issues such as white slavery. And yes the women were definitely a more empowered people. In the story line of Thoroughly Modern Millie the main character Millie had a goal to make her boss her husband, and said that marriage comes first, love comes later. In fact this was a mindset of many young women during this time. Times had had changed since even ten years before where women were not allowed to vote and were basically a maid at home. The production put on by Willow Creek Middle did not portray any women smoking even though many did in the 20’s.

Over all the Drama students of Willow Creek Middle school did a great job of portraying how society had changed significantly during this time and stayed very true to the original production of Thoroughly Modern Millie.