Willowcreek Voice

Willowcreek Voice

Ideas for Keeping Students Entertained the Last Week of School

Gracie Hill, Journalist

We all know the age old trick of teachers just putting on a movie during the last week of school.  I probably watched more movies during the last week of school than at home. It starts to feel a bit monotonous.  Here’s some other things can teachers do to keep the students entertained, and maybe have a little fun themselves.

• Set out a bunch of board games and put the desks away.  
  • Go outside and play some kickball. Or baseball.  Or basketball. Or any sport, really. Get those kids some sunshine, goodness knows, some them need it.
  • Go outside and let the kids have some free time, while you sit down in the shade and read a good book.
  • Tell the kids to bring food next class period, then have a P-A-R-T-Y.  Some of them aren’t ever coming back to Willowcreek. Give them a day to remember.  All you have to do is bring paper plates.
  • Take your students and go prank Mr. Cooper.
  • Glue pennies, dimes, or nickels to the floor all around the school and watch as people try to pick them up.  It’s hilarious. Make sure you can clean it up before school is out. It would be an embarrassing talk to have to explain that to the principal.
  • Set up a Mario Kart Tournament in the classroom
  • Do Night Drawings.  It’s where you have your students get out a piece of paper and a writing utensil.  Then, you have them close their eyes and tell them what to draw. A birthday cake, their mom, Earth, etc.  You can have them draw anything. No peeking! When they’re done, have them open their eyes and laugh at what they drew.  
  • Go outside and color with chalk.  You can even have a sort of lesson with this one.
  • There are certainly other ideas.  Get creative and see what you can come up with.  

*One last piece of advice: HAVE FUN!!!!  Have the time of your life!*